Friday, March 4, 2011

POSITIVE THINKING AND ITS BENEFITS

If you were to ask me the most important lesson that I’ve learned in the past decade of doing this, I’d say that it’s a positive attitude and outlook which makes all the difference in the world. The benefits that accrue to you are large.

In the early days, I thought the best way to get ahead was to prove how great I am, even at the expense of others. As you can imagine, it didn’t win me any favors. Then I started to think calmly. The Vibes of positive thoughts in my mind started to work wonders for me.

So I sat back and thought a lot of what I told over the years and cringed at all my negativity.

A few years I took a “vow of positivity.” I learned that if I’m good at what I do, it will shine through and speak for itself. I don’t have to get my rant or bash on to get ahead. I also learned that the people who make up my community aren’t into that sort of negativity anyway.

The change was like day and night. Here’s how I use a positive approach:

§ Instead of waking up with a feeling of dread, I wake up eager to do what I love, and I love to do so many different things.

§ Instead of reacting in anger when someone says something that’s either wrong or not very nice, I’m taking the water off a duck’s back approach.

§ Instead of spending all my time worrying about what “competitors” are up to, I channeled my energy into my business and it paid off in spades.

§ Instead of griping about “unqualified” people getting ahead, I analyzed why I wasn’t getting ahead and owned up to my mistakes and errors.

§ I treat every Monday as if it’s a clean slate. Any negativity from the past week is wiped away.

§ If I want to write a “pet peeves” post or list some things that bother me, I do so in a way that offers tips for improving the situation, rather than counteracting with more negativity or finger pointing.

It’s truly freeing and I could feel it.

It’s OK if you need to take a vomit break. I realized that my way isn’t everyone’s way. My way is a different way from others and it is indeed a positive way of looking at things. However, taking the time to approach negativity in a positive manner has made all the difference for me and my career. Since my vow of positivity, I landed my dream job and receive offers every month. I’ve received interest about me from others and made the most amazing new friends and connections. The blog (http://www.ssekar.blogspot.com) in which I am posting articles has even received some very cool recognition.

When I don’t dwell on what’s wrong with life and focus on making lemonade, the outlook is infectious. Who wants to hang around with someone who is constantly complaining? On the flip side, someone who can always see the bright side tends to make more friends. This is for sure and it is true and I am seeing this right and now under my own eyes.

Some other interesting things since I took my vow of positivity:

§ I sleep better at night.

§ I’m sick less frequently.

§ I’m not as grumpy with my family and friends.

§ It’s easier to focus on work.

§ The quality of my work has improved.

§ So many good things are happening.

What is the most important lesson that I have learnt?

Stay positive even when life is at its most negative.

Negativity can take a downward spiral, while positivity only breeds more positivity.

What are some things you do to keep positive in life and work? We will see how to balance work and life in the next post of mine. You have to balance work and life to stay happy and be successful.

S.SEKAR SEKRAS >>>>>> HIGH PERFORMANCE ALWAYS

Contact: sekrajc@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment